In August of this year I started a project with the goal of finally reading Jane Austen’s Persuasion. I have owned this book for over a decade and in that time have tried to read it with no success. The exact number of times I couldn’t say, but I know it was at least 7 or 8, and each time I would get only a few chapters in before I would get bored and give up.
I still don’t know exactly what it was that made it so hard for me to get into Persuasion, especially since I love all of Austen’s other work, and probably I never will know.
However, I set a New Year’s goal for finally reading Persuasion in 2017 and about halfway through the year decided it was time to make that happen. Thus, the Persuasion Project was started. I knew I couldn’t sit down and read it in one sitting, so I decided to only make myself read a single chapter a week, which I would then post something about. I figured even if I hated every single chapter, at least when it was done I’d have accomplished a long-time goal.
- Week 1 – Volume I, Chapter I – III
- Week 2 – Volume I, Chapter IV
- Week 3 – Volume I, Chapter V
- Week 4 – Volume I, Chapter VI
- Week 5 – Volume I, Chapter VII
- Week 6 – Volume I, Chapter VIII
- Week 7 – Volume I, Chapter IX – XII
- Week 8 – Volume II, Chapter I – II
- Week 9 – Volume II, Chapter III
- Week 10 – Volume II, Chapter IV
- Week 11 – Volume II, Chapter V – XII
- Final Thoughts & Rating
I actually finished much sooner than expected, taking only 11 weeks instead of 22! Hurray! I have now read all of Jane Austen’s novels.