My rating: 5 of 5 stars
- accustom (someone) to something, especially something unpleasant
- [law] come into operation; take effect
They still whispered Minya’s words to her, but she had inured herself to them.
– Laini Taylor, Strange the Dreamer
First Lines Fridays is a weekly feature for book lovers hosted by Wandering Words. What if instead of judging a book by its cover, its author or its prestige, we judged it by its opening lines?
- Pick a book off your shelf (it could be your current read or on your TBR) and open to the first page
- Copy the first few lines, but don’t give anything else about the book away just yet – you need to hook the reader first
- Finally… reveal the book!
I am an hourglass.
My seventeen years have collapsed and buried me from the inside out.
Did the quote pique your interest? View this book on Goodreads!
The sun rose at our backs, pink light gleaming off the city’s slender towers then splintering gold on the waters of the bay. I saw the sprawl of the port, the great ships bobbing in the harbor, and beyond that blue, and blue, and blue again. The sea seemed to go on forever, stretching into an impossibly distant horizon.
– Leigh Bardugo, Shadow and Bone, page 349
Paperback, 358 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Square Fish
I haven’t been doing great at my recovery, mostly because I’ve been completely exhausted every day and it’s hard to do much with that. But at the end of the month I had a much better psych visit than usual and I think things are going to look up in December. Wish me luck!
I finished 7 books this month!
Check out my list of books and my fave/least fave things about them.
I totally met and surpassed my Goodreads 2018 Read Challenge goal!! I’m so happy I managed to make it with a month to spare, even with a reading slump.
I posted so many pictures in November! I finally did another one of those Book Photo Challenges that I used to love to do and I really enjoyed myself. Words from Books seems to be going over well enough that I’ll keep it up. Now if I could just remember to post more about the books I’m reading I think I’d be set.